Uninstalling Capable 21C
It may be necessary to uninstall Capable 21C at some stage. This knowledgebase
article describes how to uninstall Capable 21C and what considerations to make when
There are essentially four main components to a Capable 21C installation.
- The Capable 21C Program itself (and supporting files).
- The Capable 21C Database file (and supporting files).
- Some Microsoft Windows core components.
- Some Microsoft Windows registry settings.
Items 1, 2 and 4 may be legitimately removed when Capable 21C is uninstalled.
The Microsoft Specification for software installation and uninstallation advises
against removing core components when uninstalling an application, so this knowledgebase
article does not discuss how to remove the core components.
See the resolution section below for how to uninstall the various components of
Before attempting an uninstallation, it may be desirable to make a backup of the
Capable 21C database. If this is required, it should be done before any further
steps are attempted.
To uninstall the Capable 21C Program Files:
- Go to the Windows Control Panel.
- Go to Add/Remove Programs
- Click on the Capable 21C Installation removal button.
- Follow the prompts on screen.
Note that if Capable 21C has been installed more than once, a critical log-file
to assist in the installation will be unavailable after the first uninstallation
attempt. The subsequent installations will not uninstall themselves cleanly
if this has happened. Refer to the detailed instructions for what to do in
To uninstall the Capable 21C Database Files:
- Ensure that a backup has been taken (if it is required). Capable Software
Pty Ltd takes no responsibility for data loss as a result of following the subsequent
- Open a My Computer window.
- Navigate to the Local Disk (C:).
- Right click and delete the C:\Capable folder.
To remove any spurious registry entries:
- Click the Windows Start button.
- Click the Run option.
- Key REGEDIT and press ENTER.
- Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings key.
- Delete the Capable subkey.
- Delete the Capable 21C subkey.
- Delete the Capable Integration Modules subkey (if it exists).
Refer to the Detailed Information section for any other possible cleanup activities:
If Capable 21C has been installed twice, the installation log from the first installation
will be overwritten by the installation log of the second installation. When
either of these installations are removed, the installation log is also removed,
and the other installation(s) will not be able to uninstall themselves properly.
Follow these steps to remove the other installations of Capable 21C if this has
- Delete the database files and registry entries as per the instructions above.
- Delete the C:\Program Files\Capable folder using a My Computer window.
- Re-open the REGEDIT tool, and remove the following key(s):
Note that there may be other keys that end in #2, #3, #4, etc for each of the additional
installations of Capable 21C. These should be removed as well.