Speed up mail merges
Capable 21C uses Microsoft Word (tm) for mail merging.
Due to certain factors, this mail merging can be slower than is
desirable. This article describes some options for
improving mail merge performance.
The default technology used for the mail merge is called
Microsoft OLE DB Jet database connectivity. This
technology can be quite fast on small databases, can also be
quite slow on large databases. The resolution section
describes some techniques to improve performance.
Note that the steps described in the resolution sections
below are of a technical nature, and may require the assistance
of a PC Technician.
Option 1: Don't use Microsoft Jet
- On the standard documents shipped with Capable 21C (eg
Bring Up, Recall, Birthday letters, etc), there is no option
to alter the database connectivity option. For these
documents, refer to options 2 and 3.
- Open the document using Microsoft Word.
- Click the button on the mail merge toolbar to connect to
a new data source.
- Change the data source type to an ODBC connection.
- Follow the prompts to create an ODBC data source to the
Capable 21C database, and the required query.
Option 2: Remove any legacy references from the database
- Open the Capable.MDB database using MS Access.
- Press ALT-F11 to get the Visual Basic for Applications
- Go to Tools|References.
- Untick any referenced that are marked as 'MISSING'
- Close all windows and MS Access
Option 3: Compact and Repair the database
Refer to the knowledgebase article entitled
and Repair Database
No further detail
This knowledge resource is designed
for use on a Windows (tm) XP system operating at a screen
resolution of 1024x768 or better. Windows Media Player must be
installed for this training resource to operate correctly.
Copyright 2008 Capable Software
Return to Capable
Contact Technical Support