Repair a read only database
Sometimes a Capable 21C database can become so badly damaged that a compact and
repair will not repair it. If this is the case, follow the instructions in
this knowledgebase article.
Whilst Microsoft Access includes a Compact and Repair function, this feature
cannot repair all types of damage to a database file. Note that the steps
to repair this kind of damage are slightly more complicated, and assume a level
of expertise higher than that required for most Capable Software knowledgebase
To repair the database:
- Open the database using Microsoft Access.
- Note that one of the two possible messages from Microsoft Access indicate that
the damage can be repaired by this procedure. These messages are, a)
Database file is Read-Only, and b) Choose whether to Convert or Open the
database. The usual warning messages about being unable to change database
objects, or blocking unsafe expressions are not indicators of this kind of
- Choose the option to Convert the database.
- When prompted, save the converted database as DB1.MDB in the same folder as the
- Note that Microsoft Access may produce a number of 'Database is Read Only'
errors whilst converting the database. This is normal. When
Microsoft Access has completed its attempt to convert the database, it will open
the database window. Do NOT close Microsoft Access at this point.
- Go to Tools|Database Utilities|Convert|Convert to Microsoft Access 2002-2003
- When prompted, save the converted database as DB2.MDB.
- When the conversion process finishes, close Microsoft Access.
- Rename the original Capable.MDB to Damaged.MDB.
- Rename the new DB2.MDB to Capable.MDB.
- The interim DB1.MDB can be safely deleted.
Capable Software Pty Ltd recommends moving the Damaged.MDB file to a different
folder to reduce backup size.
This knowledge resource is designed
for use on a Windows (tm) XP system operating at a screen
resolution of 1024x768 or better. Windows Media Player must be
installed for this training resource to operate correctly.
Copyright 2008 Capable Software
Return to Capable
Contact Technical Support