Live Update Procedure
Capable 21C includes features to easily download and install new versions of
itself via a technology called Live Updates. This knowledgebase article
describes the recommended procedure that an office should follow when attempting
to perform a Live Update.
There is always an element of risk when updating to a new version of any program.
The new version will behave differently to the old version. This may
include new features, or may include the correction of defects. In either
case, the change in behaviour may be unsettling to operators, and may result in
unexpected messages appearing on screen. Despite the most rigorous testing
performed by Capable Software Pty Ltd, customers should exercise some caution
when upgrading to a new version.
The procedure described below is the recommended procedure that should be
followed whenever a Live Update is attempted.
The most important steps in performing a Live Update are:
- Produce a list of outstanding accounts (for later verification) BEFORE
performing the Live Update.
- Perform the update on a PC that is not part of the Production network. For
example a home PC, or a spare PC specifically set aside for upgrade testing.
- Re-run the outstanding accounts list, and compare the list to the one produced
earlier. There should be no changes in the amounts (though there may be
some minor changes in layout).
- Test the update thoroughly on the off-line PC. See below for a list of the
common tests of Capable 21C. If any tests fail or produce unexpected
results, resolve these problems before proceeding any further.
- Take a comprehensive backup of both the Capable 21C database and the Capable 21C
program. This allows an office to revert back to the older version easily if
problems are experienced.
- Perform the update at a time when the office is not open for business. This
allows some freedom in addressing any unforeseen circumstances without the
pressure of a normal shift.
- Double check the behaviour of Capable 21C.
To perform the update on an off-line PC:
- Install Capable 21C on that PC, and restore a backup. Refer to
and migrating to a new PC.asp for detailed instructions.
- Start Capable 21C on the offline PC. Test that the PC is actually offline by
creating a dummy appointment. Go to a live production PC and double-check that
the dummy appointment has not been created in the production environment.
- Return to the off-line PC and click Live Update. Follow the prompts on-screen.
- Refer to KB-Live Update
rejects password.asp if problems are encountered performing the Live Update.
To test the Live Update on an offline PC:
- Try each of the following functions to see that they work as expected. Take
note of any variations and advise staff or contact Capable Technical Support as
- Start a shift.
- Check that the background shading colours of the appointment book are as
- Check that the block-outs for lunch breaks (and denoting the start and end of
the day) appear as expected.
- Make an appointment for an existing patient.
- Create a new patient, register them and make an appointment for them.
- Move either appointment to a new time.
- Move either appointment to a new date.
- Move either appointment to a different practitioner (if the office has more than
- Invoice both appointments. Ensure that the prices that appear are those
that are expected. Print at least one of the invoices.
- Open the scheduling window and adjust the schedule for any patient.
- If the office operates in a paperless mode, open Visit Notes and record some
notes for any patient. Close and re-open the visit notes to ensure that they
have saved correctly.
- Close the shift. Ensure that the shift figures tally with the test invoices
- If the office uses the banking slip feature, attempt to print a banking slip.
- Print a statistical report and check the figures against the test invoices.
- Go to Setup|Setup Appointment Types and Fees, and check that the pricing is
correct for products and services.
To take a comprehensive backup (note that the assistance of a PC Technician may
- Backup all contents of the C:\Capable folder on the main PC (or server), including any subfolders.
Examining the Capable.INI file on any PC in the network will help to clarify the
exact location of the Capable database file. The location of the
Capable.INI file will be identified by the 'Run In' location on the Properties
window of the Capable 21C shortcut (used for starting Capable 21C).
- If the office operates Capable 21C in a SQL Server environment, backup the SQL
database as well.
- Backup all contents of the C:\Program
- Whilst it is normally advisable to take backups off-site, keep this backup
on-site so that it is readily accessible if it is needed. Note that the
office should have more than one backup so that another backup can be taken
This knowledge resource is designed
for use on a Windows (tm) XP system operating at a screen
resolution of 1024x768 or better. Windows Media Player must be
installed for this training resource to operate correctly.
Copyright 2008 Capable Software
Return to Capable
Contact Technical Support